NUR 300 Denver School of Nursing Self Management Presentation
In this assignment, you will present a culturally sensitive self-management plan for a patient with a chronic disease.
Step 1 Choose a chronic disease that you frequently encounter in your nursing practice. Alternatively, pick a chronic disease that you would like to explore further.
Step 2 Select a culture that you often encounter in your practice or one that you would like to learn more about. For the purposes of this presentation, you may choose a culture based on religion; racial or ethnic group; cognitive, sensory, or physical disability; or sexual orientation or gender identity.
Step 3 In a 6-8 slide presentation (excluding the title slide and reference slide), address the following topics: Identify the chronic disease you chose to present, including a short summary of the disease and its complications.
- Identify and describe the culture you chose to present.
- Identify a self-care need for a patient with the chronic illness you chose. For example, a patient with diabetes will need to monitor blood glucose levels; a patient with hypertension will need to follow a low sodium diet.
- Identify two measurable, patient-centered goals for a patient with this self-care need. For example, “The patient will be able to give a return demonstration for obtaining a capillary blood glucose level.”
- Present a culturally sensitive self-management plan for each goal. For example, Appalachians may believe that their lives are controlled by fate (fatalism). Therefore, they may feel powerless in their care. The plan of care will need interventions that help empower the patient. NUR 300 Denver School of Nursing Self Management Presentation
- Describe how you will evaluate whether the goals were met. Consider methods such as Teach Back in your evaluation of the goals.
- Provide a summary of your presentation.
- Provide a reference slide citing any sources used in the presentation in the format requested by your instructor.
Step 4 Include talking points and details in the notes area for each slide. These notes should document what you would say to an audience about each slide if you were to present in person.
Cite all sources using APA format.
*Important: Use this Sample PPP as a template to format your assignment to prevent unnecessary point deduction. NUR 300 Denver School of Nursing Self Management Presentation